Saturday 8 October 2011

Bigger, slicker, quicker, more black more upper London is a Taxi

DoaMS: You can't spell Inertia without Inert

So I look back at the entries of the past, oh, say, six months, and I wonder; when did everything become about the people, and not about, say, the course, or the films?

Sometimes this feels like a strange and livid soap opera.

Let's talk about something else, for a while.

Firstly, the soundtrack to Portal 2 is now fully availably and fully free to download at (http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php). This is probably not news to, well, anyone, but I liked it.

The important thing about Portal 2, to me, was the tightness of the scripting. Put it like this; you're a mute protagonist exploring a giant ruined facility on your own. This is not a setup designed for heart-wrenching drama or amazingly well-done comedy. But because of the voices that travel with you - in the guise of AI cores, mostly - there's an amazing, tragic story of scientific hubris, psychological trauma, and body horror all mixed up in there. If you haven't alreay played it, well, hey, you're probably not likely to.

But you should. You Monster.

Um... Other than that... I've been watching episodes of seasons two of Warehouse 13 and Justified, both of which I rate, the latter perhaps higher than the former. I'm a big fan of shows which establish a specific 'feel' and manage to stick to it without the inevitable decay onto other styles or tropes. Not that switching up is a bad thing in any way shape or form, though - but I've been watching a lot of Bones over the summer, and there's an odd shift from pathology to out-and-out comedy over the first five seasons.

Film wise, I heartily recomment Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, and I really, really enjoyed Thor. Book-wise, I've ended up with the most recent Deadpool Classic volumes, i.e. 4 and 5, because they conclude the storyline that I remember reading and greatly enjoying as a teenager. I would like to author an article about how Deadpool ended up as a superhero role model (viz. the talking, not the boom-bang-a-bang) along with Jamie Madrox, but hey, that would only lead to psychology. Add the Punisher in the mix - because, frankly, Garth Ennis' Max series are some of the best stories in comic format I've ever read - and it's probably time for some therapy.

Other than that, outside of the aforementioned soap opera - and despite my best intentions, that's truly what it's turning into - life is more or less good.

So isn't that something to celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment