Friday 14 December 2012

But my eyes, dear, they see only you

In an odd kind of a way, it's probably time to actually do that BEST OF 2012 post.

Well, MOST READ OF 2012, anyway. 

See, I know y'all out there are reading. I have, like, pageview statistics to show that that's actually, don'tcha know, happening. Because most of the time when I'm writing for this blog I feel like this: 



I know I'm not actually writing this for any one particular person in the world, and it's not groundbreaking stuff that opens up the doors of people's perceptions, nor is it current or topical or useful, but hey, after this comes the 150th Entry, which means - yes, folks, that's right - that I've been writing this for a bloody long time. 

We've been through several transitions, here, from it starting out as a quasi-film company blog for the actual Eton Crow thing - and yeah, not much came of that because I suck at setting up an actual website even though I own the domain name, I think. After that came a lot of the Diary of a Mature Student section, which had some entertaining moments but devolved into complaining - a lot like being a mature student, in fact, so the parallel is strangely relevant. 

Then there was the ill-advised Each Day, A Film section, which I managed to keep up for a couple of months before the rising waters of deadlines overwhelmed it - and me - and it sunk. 

Since then, it's just been my ill-advised but grammatically correct - for the most part - columns. 

Lucky you. 

But let's have that best of, shall we? 

PLEASE NOTE: PAGEVIEW STATISTICS ARE ACCURATE AT TIME OF WRITING. 
Of course, if you click the links, they won't be any more. Deal with it

With Thirty-Five (35) views, we have: The Scott Pilgrim Column! 
My Weapon Jammed And I Got Stuck

AKA Don't Send Your Single Men To The Cinema, Mrs Worthington. I wish I'd had more to say about the film, and I also wish I knew why using Stan Ridgeway lyrics in article titles means more pageviews.

With Forty-Seven (47) views, we have: The End Of The Degree Post!
It won't be very long - you will look for me, and I'll be gone

This dream must end this world must know Your guess is as good as mine, frankly. That was written at the end of a long and difficult course, and it was, really, venting. Perhaps venting works. Perhaps Moby lyrics as post titles work. Perhaps venting accompanied by Moby works. Perhaps, as Martinson (1974) stated, Nothing Works.

With Sixty-Seven (67) views, we have: Idle TV Speculation!
This dream must end this world must know

If you want to get pageviews, Quote Dr Who in the title. Seriously. Go try it. I'll wait. Especially entertaining considering the column was about a different show entirely.

But the all-time winner, with One Hundred and Six (106) views is this:
When I wake it's kaleidoscopic lime

Which kind of confirms the Moby hypothesis. Maybe if I start using Moby song lyrics for every post from now on we'll reliably hit double digits and maybe even triple digits. 

Here's the fun thing, though; that's actually a halfway decent, interesting, thoughtful, well-researched column. So hey, quality - and Moby lyrics - apparently sell! 

It's been an odd year, folks. No doubt about it. That gets written up in the Last Column Of The Year, though, so for now let's just celebrate the fact that one of my columns actually hit TRIPLE DIGITS this year. 

Let's focus on that because the idea that I have a silent group of readers who simply read, and judge, is slightly disconcerting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment